Saturday Worship at the Chapel in the summer of 2017 – Saturdays at 5:00 PM
The Chapel of the Transfiguration, in Bretton Woods, is a summer chapel of the Diocese of New Hampshire that Christ Church stewards and oversees on behalf of the diocese. It is located on Route 302 just east of the Mount Washington Hotel.
Eucharist Services are held on Saturday afternoons at 5:00 PM in July and August.
Dedicated in 1907, the Chapel of the Transfiguration was built in memory of Joseph Stickney, who planned and built the majestic Mount Washington Hotel in Bretton Woods less than a mile away. Crafted from gray granite, the building features magnificent stained glass windows by D. Maitland Armstrong as well as one by the Tiffany Studio. The windows depict the 12 disciples along the side walls, the Ascension in the back, and the Transfiguration as the altar piece.
For many years the site of a boys choir-summer camp, the chapel fell into reduced usage and eventual disuse in the late 1950’s, 1960’s and 1970’s before coming into the full legal oversight of the Episcopal Diocese of New Hampshire in 1982. Bishop Phillip Smith then asked Christ Episcopal Church in nearby North Conway to steward the chapel. Christ Church, the diocese, and some long-standing financial support from the wills of Joseph Stickney’s wife and others have maintained the property and kept the chapel open for summer worship and mission ever since.